Phew! Wow – it feels good to take a nice big breath! These past few weeks since I started working again (I still LOVE saying that!!!) have flown by – it’s been insane! My days are full, full FULL! Work is great and I have so much more to tell you about it. I am busy all day in a way that leaves me deliriously exhausted and with a mushy brain. ANd I love it. Then when I get done for the day it’s time to get done all the stuff I used to have all day to do – go to the gym, run errands, budget, meal plan, return emails & phone calls and clearly I’ve had little time for social media as of late. And then I still need to make dinner and prepare myself for the next day. I. Am. POOPED! But I’m happier now than I have been in a very long time!
First off, let’s talk about the job. I am working as a receptionist for a company that sells durable medical equipment (DME). If you’re looking for something, chances are we have it. From hospital beds and aircasts to prosthetics and custom orthotics. I am learning some medical coding (which is always a great skill to have in your arsenal) and dealing with insurance companies every day (which is why making phone calls on my lunch break to my own insurance company kind of sucks during my lunch break – but that’s a whole other post.) I interact with the public, answer phones, schedule appointments and so much more. There’s a lot on my plate but I am never bored – and neither are any of my coworkers. I like knowing that I won’t get a chance to become complacent in my job. I can also get to work on foot or by bike should I choose (although I have walked home once and used my bike once. Otherwise I am using the bus to get there and FF to get home.). I love my new coworkers too. I have never felt so welcomed and so a part of a team so quickly before. I really don’t have any complaints. I’m sure I will as time goes on but I’m enjoying every minute of it for now.
I have learned a few important facts already. Like:
- I have zero privacy. When I go to lunch someone else sits at my desk and plays me. There is a person sitting on either side of me (there is a wall between us, but…) and the only printer/copier in the building is behind my desk. People are always rifling through my paperwork and digging through my drawers. This is hard for me but I am learning and adapting.
- There are certain people I work with who I would like to tell, “I am THE receptionist, not YOUR receptionist.”
- The phone rings A LOT. There is almost always someone either in my face or in my ears. It makes me try to enjoy my one hour lunch break but I also have nowhere to go for privacy during that either. We have a small breakroom and everyone has set lunch hours. I lunch with the same people every day in the only place I can go in the whole building (and one of those people doesn’t take me reading a book as a sign I’d like to be left alone. Perhaps I should make a sign?)
- Working with health insurances can be really difficult. There are long hold times which makes me doing my job efficiently really difficult. I wish all insurances could be checked online but I do realize this would cut a ton of jobs. So maybe we just create more to have shorter hold times?
- I like making new friends. Because the phone rings so much I haven’t had a lot of time to really get to know my coworkers but we’re working on it 🙂
- I like dressing up for work. After being able to wear jeans & flip flops for the past three years I am enjoying skirts & stilettos. But I have some shopping to do…keep those paychecks coming!
Well, that’s the latest from me. Hope you are all well. Check back in tomorrow cuz I’m posting the pics I printed to hang at my desk for Wordless Wednesday. xo