Becoming an Aunt – Again!
My best friend is scheduled to give birth to her daughter around noon today. I am beyond excited! She has one boy, RJ and his little sister will also have an R name! So to honor this occasion I decided to write for the first time in weeks! It’s not much, but I did want to share it just the same.
To my Best Good Friend on the day of her daughter’s birth:
- Teach her the value she possesses within herself
- Nurture her passion
- Cherish the bond between the two of you. Nothing compares to the love between a mother & daughter.
- Treasure every moment in which she asserts her independence.
- Reassure her that nothing defines who she is or what she can do except her- especially not gender, race, sexual orientation or religion.
- Remind her that no amount of cosmetics or hair product make up for bad manners or ignorance.
- Show her how to stand up for herself gracefully in any situation.
- Let her learn that her big brother will be her best friend and worst enemy. He will most likely be the first person to hurt her (physically & emotionally) but he will always have her back. ALWAYS
- Realize that she was born with an agenda but never let her stop reaching past her potential.
- Remember how painful things sometimes seemed as we grew up & how we felt out mothers couldn’t comprehend our frustration.
There is so much more I want to say. To my friend. To my new niece. But gratitude outweighs it all. I am so indebted to my friends and family for making me an aunt. It’s the best job I have ever had and I promise to do it well for the rest of my life. XO