Where Does The Time Go
Before I get to my super fun post to celebrate a year of blogging, I just want to take a moment and ask that we all collectively pray for everyone effected by the terrible natural disasters in Japan that are also beginning to affect other countries and people. It appears far from over and until we know the magnitude and extent of the damage, all we can do is pray. I am not a religious person but I have myself witnessed the power of prayer. And now for the fun.
A year ago today I asked for help from some of my favorite bloggers, I took their advice and I wrote my very first blog post. You can read it here. It was so awesome to finally get this blog off the ground! Especially when all those inspirational people I asked for help stopped by and commented! That was so overwhelming! And then I spent months honing my voice. Figuring out what to put here, what to keep to myself. Deciding how to tell a story to best get my message across. I won’t lie, the first few months were tough and so many times I thought about giving up. But every once in a while I would write something and someone would give me a comment that would bring my mojo back.
In the last six months or so, I have truly fallen in love with blogging. Every minute, every post, every comment. My page views have grown (as have my comments, albeit not at the same rate) and I feel I have an audience. But an understanidng audience who accepts that sometimes posts won’t let me write them in a way I know how so they’re forced to read memes and Wordless Wednesdays til I can make the words right. I no longer feel quite as bad when I go long stretches without writing. I have realized that the more I do this for me, the more people stop by to read. I’ve realized that for me, blogging is therapy. When I have a problem I can’t tackle or an admission to make, I am not judged. In fact, I am often lifted up by your kindness and understanding.
Today kind of snuck up on me. I should have ben more prepared. I would have loved to have a new blog to show you or some grand giveaway. But I don’t. And again, this is why I love you all because you will read anyway. I am so grateful for that! What I do have is a list of things I’ve been wanting to do here and haven’t gotten around to (much like my 50 Things To Do Before I Turn 31 list) so I will post it here and hopes of having them completed by my second blogoversary. I also compiled a list of my favorite posts from 2010 that you can check out here. I’ve also done the same for the 1st two months of 2011 (I haven’t written much in March – this one, a Wordless Wednesday and an update after a 2 week absence – meh).
What I Want To Accomplish by 3/11/2012
- I want to beautify my blog. Yes, that means I want to spend some money and let someone else take care of the nitty gritty for me. I’d like to move to wordpress.org and work with some people. I’m thinking I might enlist the Williams 🙂 I want to create a banner and a button and all those things that “real bloggers” have.
- I need to update some of the tabs above. For my blogroll, D-Terms and “Who Are These People” it will be as simple as updating them. But my birthday list needs its own post talking about what I’ve accomplished in greater detail. Next Tuesday is my half birthday – perhaps a perfect time to do that. And I need to keep it up to date at all times.
- I need to update all the old links. Because I used to blog somewhere else, when I moved everything here some things will still direct you to the old blog. Yuck!
- I want to start adding tags to my posts for easier reference. I’m considering adding tags to my old posts but that’s a lot of work that I don’t know if I have the time or energy for that.
- I want to vlog at least once a month. Sometimes about diabetes – but not always.
- I want to make it easier for you all to view my Flickr, Tumblr, Vimeo, YouTube etc right from here.
- There’s a couple of drafts that I have started over the course of the past year – they are saved here, in my phone or in a journal but they’re all important and I started them for a reason. I would love to get them here. I think the most important (and the one I’m dreading backlash on) is my feelings on becoming a parent. I NEED to share that.
- I will not set any goals about writing x amount of times a week or month. I write when the urge strikes and that makes for the best reading. I don’t want to commit to something that A.) I can’t maintain and will cause guilty feelings or B.) Give you shit posts and memes for the sake of saying I posted. We all deserve better than that (no offense to anyone who does this – it just doesn’t work for me as I’ve tried it several times.)
I think that about sums it up. Is there anything YOU would like to see here over the course of the next 12 months? I’d love to hear. Because while I write for me, I hope people will continue to visit and share the love. Let me know how I can keep THAT happening! 🙂 XO